Creating art helps students integrate knowledge and experience.
Lesson Plan Ideas
Learning Objectives for Grades: 3rd – 5th
Developed by: Rachel Heisler University of Minnesota Duluth, Art Education Major, under the direction of Brenda Deterling, K-5 Art Teacher, Congdon Park Elementary & Lincoln Piedmont Elementary, Duluth, Minnesota
- Investigate the works of Henri Matisse.
- Learn the differences of geometric and organic shapes by creating a collage.
- Create sculptural art from a 2D project (Transfer ideas from 2D to 3D).
- Explore various materials to create wearable art, combining soft and hard materials–contrasts of textures.
- Explore Elements of Visual Art: line, shape, color, form and texture.
Discuss Henri Matisse’s work and his use of organic and geometric shapes.
Using 8″ x 8″ white paper as their background have each child create a collage by cutting out geometric and organic shapes from Fadeless® Assorted Art Paper. Shapes should overlap and go off the page to create an interesting composition. Glue shapes in place with white glue.
Looking at the collage, cut out three shapes from Pacon® Peacock® 40 point Display Board. First draw the shapes and cut with scissors.
Using Pacon® Plast’r Craft®, cover board shapes. First cut the Plast’r Craft® a little larger than the shape you’re covering, dip in water and squeeze out excess. Then cover shape, smoothing Plast’r Craft® as you go. Let dry overnight.
Using the collage as inspiration, paint plastered shapes with acrylic paint. Each shape has to be a different color.
After paint dries, assemble by stacking shapes in an interesting way. With the teachers help, hot glue pieces together.
Pick out feathers, beads, or glitter to embellish your pin! With teacher’s help, hot glue items on.
Decide how the pin should hang when clipped on to something and hot glue a pin-back with teacher’s help. Let pin dry while glue sets.
- Matte collages with black paper to make the colors pop!
- Let Plast’r Craft® dry overnight.
- Have extra helping hands when hot gluing!
- Glue pin back high on the back so it will hang nicely!